Today’s to-do list:
- Make a to-do list.
- Check off the first item.
- Realise you’ve already done two things – you’re a productive beast!
- Take the rest of the day off – you’ve earned it!
Finding fun in your work life makes everything easier.
…is what I said in yesterday’s email, so it must be true.
We make things fun to help us achieve a result.
It’s the same reason we try and turn tidying up into a game for our kids – if it’s a game, they’re more likely to actually do the bloody job so we don’t end up stepping on Lego at 3am while secretly nipping downstairs to catch up on the Kardashia…er, I mean Ultimate Fighting.
Let’s add some fun to your work today.
No matter what business you’re in, I’ll bet my Aunt Maud’s good hip that you’ve got a to-do list. Whether it’s written in your Moleskine (how do you pronounce that BTW?), organised alphabetically in your Evernote folder or plastered in faeces on your bedroom door, you probably have a list of things you need to get done.
Let’s see what we can do to add an element of fun to your to-do list, shall we?
Here are a few ideas off the top of my head:
- Turn your to-do list over to your followers. Post your goal on social media and ask what you should do.
- Write all your tasks on slips of paper and pick them out of a hat.
- Tell your kids the end result you’re after and ask them how you should get there.
- Grab Mason Currey’s book and adopt someone else’s habits for an entire day. See where it takes you.
- “How would Homer Simpson do this?” (other inspirational figures are available)
- Deliberately choose a silly and weird way of achieving something. Go the long way round. Take the scenic route.
- Set yourself random productivity alarms throughout the day to keep you on track. Use names like “Really? THIS is what you’re doing at 11am, John? Why don’t you do something useful, like shove marshmallows up your butt?”
Remember, “fun” doesn’t have to mean “hilarious“.
Humour is a tool.
“Hey!” – Humour
Like a journal, meditation app or standing on the beach at 3am, screaming at the ocean, humour is something we can use to make our workdays more bearable.
What can you do to make today more fun – and productive?
[ insert witty sign off here ]